A tourist visa is one of the most popular visas for the UK. There are many categories of visitors. A visitor is someone who generally intends to be in the UK for a short period, for example, to visit friends and family, to do business, to do a short course of study, to have private medical treatment. The information given here aims to deal with the various categories of visitors coming to the UK.
In general, you must show that:
- you want to visit the UK for no more than six months;
- you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit;
- you have enough money to support yourself during your stay in the UK without working or needing help from public funds.
- you do not intend to take paid or unpaid employment.
Visitors can stay in the UK for a maximum of six months at any one time. There are exceptions to this rule. Certain applicants can stay up to 12 months. They are:
- academic visitors
- the parents of children at school
- visitors taking part in archaeological excavations
- visitors coming for private medical treatment
A general visit, business, entertainer or sports visit visa may be valid for 1, 2, 5 or 10 years. However, you are still only entitled to stay in the UK for a maximum of 180 days (6 months). A 2 year visit visa does not mean you are entitled to stay in the UK for 2 years, for example. We recommend that you limit your stay to the period stated on your visa application or to a maximum of 180 days within a 12 month period. Lengthy periods spent in the UK as a visitor may cause an immigration or visa officer to doubt your intentions. If you breach the conditions attached to your entry to the UK, you face a future ban of up to 10 years.
If you want to come to the UK as a tourist or to visit friends you should apply as a general visitor. To visit the UK in this capacity you must be able to show that:
- you intend to visit the UK for no more than six months;
- you intend to leave the UK at the end of your visit, and
- you have enough money to support yourself and live in the UK without working or needing any help from public funds.
Would you like to know if you qualify? Please call us directly on +44 (0)207 9934762‚ for more information or fill out the FREE Assessment form to see if you qualify.